What Hogwarts House Is My Dog In?
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is the home of the now legendary Harry Potter Franchise.
JK Rowling introduced the Harry Potter series which has now become a multi-billion dollar franchise and has captured the hearts of millions around the world.
It is the tale about a charming hero, Harry Potter, with his friends Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, and their ultimate goal to defeat “the one who must not be mentioned” – Lord Voldemort.
While it has earned die-hard fans, it has also become a part of western culture. Even dog lovers are now in on the Harry Potter train.
- A dog shelter in the United States, Pet Alliance, has adopted the house systems from the Harry Potter franchise to categorize dogs into dog houses.
In the Harry Potter series, new entrants into Hogwarts are trained to go through a selection process into the four major houses in the school.
- When a student comes of age, his future house is chosen by the ‘sorting hat’. Based on the attributes and qualities observed over their early years, each student is directed by the sorting hat to their respective wizard houses.
- Of course in wizard-lore fashion, the sorting hat is a combination of the wisdom of the founders of each of the Hogwarts houses.
Now, before we help you decide what house your pet falls under, let’s see what the different houses are:
The four founders; Godric Gryffindor, Salazer Slytherin, Rovena Ravenclaw and Helga Hufflepuff each have a house named after them.
- The houses are characterized by certain traits which, when identified in younger students, are matched to the corresponding house by the sorting hat.
- The House of Gryffindor, home to the three main protagonists, values courage, bravery, nerve and chivalry. These values are epitomized by their mascot which is a lion.
JK Rowling explained that each house corresponds to one of the four elements. Gryffindor corresponds to fire.
- The House of Hufflepuff values hard work, patience, justice and loyalty more than anything else.
They have the badger as a mascot which epitomizes their ethics, reinforcing hard work and patience. Hufflepuff corresponds to the earth element.
- The House of Ravenclaw has the eagle as their mascot. Their core values are intelligence, creativity, learning and wit.
Safe to say, this is for the whiz kids and the nerds. According to JK Rowling, Ravenclaw corresponds to the air element.
- Finally, there’s the House of Slytherin. Sleek as you like, they value ambition, cunningness, leadership and resourcefulness. They will do practically anything to get whatever they want.
Many hold this house to be some sort of ‘evil’ house, but not so. The hero, Harry Potter, was originally supposed to belong to this house but only had it changed to Gryffindor upon his request to the sorting house.
- This perception of Slytherin being the house of evil, is not helped by its mascot which is a serpent. Slytherin corresponds to the water element.
In Greater Colorado, a dog shelter, Pet Alliance, has adopted this piece of fiction into reality.
- The dogs in this shelter are sorted into Hogwarts houses primarily based on their personalities.
Of course there is no sorting hat to do this job, but good old science gets it done.
- By observing the dogs behaviour, particularly how they interact with dog toys and other dogs, the staff can identify which of the houses best fit each dog.
The reason for this is brilliant. As a dog shelter, Pet Alliance staff observed what they call “breed discrimination”.
- Most dogs in the shelter are brought in because the owners relocated or moved to places where the new landlords do not accept dogs or certain dog breeds.
Pet Alliance gets about 1800 of such pets per year, including dogs and cats.
- When prospective owners come to adopt these dogs, there is a widespread discrimination against certain dog breeds that often leaves those breeds neglected by would be owners.
The Hogwarts school of dogs became a solution. According to the Executive director of Pet Alliance, Stephen Bardy, “We really wanted people to take a look at dogs for the dogs”.
- The idea was born out of the desire to get prospective owners to know the dogs beyond just their breed.
- They want the owners to know the dogs personally for their traits, behaviour and talents. This way, the dogs could be better paired with a new dog owner.
In line with the Hogwarts culture, puppies younger than 6 months are not separated into houses.
- In Harry Potter, only those that are 11 years and older were sorted into houses.
According to Pet Alliance, dogs with certain observable traits were sorted into their respective houses.
To make it more fun, the actual names of the Hogwarts houses were reworked into a more “doggish” sound.
- For dogs that learn obedience pretty quickly, they are attributed to have the trait of knowledge. This is matched with the Pawgwarts house for the smart dogs – Ravenpaw (Ravenclaw).
- A dog with a steely determination to climb the agility A-frame is attributed to possess the trait of ambition. They will be assigned to the Slobberin (Slytherin) house.
- For dogs that have no hesitation to embrace new things, they are said to have a trait of bravery. This lands them into the Gryffindog (Gryffindor) house.
- The more friendly and affectionate dogs are more in line with the Hufflefluff (Hufflepuff) House.
Stephen Bardy believes that this approach has made more customers pay attention to personality traits of dogs than they previously did.
- He is a firm believer that pet homelessness can be ended if pet owners are more responsive and more interested in understanding the behaviour and personality of their dogs.
Really, what better way to get to know the personality of your dogs than through the Hogwarts, sorry Pawgwarts house system.
Popular Dog Breeds And Their Hogwarts Houses
Okay, now we are doing something the Pet Alliance wants to discourage – judging dogs based on their breed.
- Well, our assessment is only in the broad view of what is observed with certain breeds.
If you really want to have a thorough assessment of your dog with regards to their Hogwarts house, you could take Pet Alliance’s “Pawgwarts” quiz.
Nevertheless, let’s give you an idea of what you might expect based on your dog’s breed.
- The charismatic German shepherd is known for its sheer bravery. If you doubt that, just ask yourself why they are widely used as K9 service members all over the United States.
- They also manage to combine their heroics with a nice friendliness. Notwithstanding, their charismatic bravery lands them squarely in Gryffindor or Gryffindog.
- The standard poodle is regarded as one of the smartest dog breeds in the world. This is possibly because they learn commands faster than most other breeds.
- They also have an awkward unapologetic posture about their behaviour, a trait which is typical of Ravenclaw or Ravenpaw.
- The Golden Retriever is a friendly dog which is known for its devotion and loyalty to their masters.
- While also very intelligent and worthy to be considered a member of Ravenclaw, their friendliness and immovable loyalty align them more appropriately with Gryffindor or Gryffindog.
- The Doberman Pinscher is an extremely fearless dog. Yet it is very trainable, alert and a perfect watchdog.
- They, however, will stop at nothing to protect their family. Their desire to be possessive and jealously guard their own is straight from the House of Slytherin or Slobberin.
- Like we said earlier, there is a misconception about Slytherins being evil.
- However, as Severus Snape showed, what appears as sinister, could just be a doggedness to do right at all costs – that’s the Doberman Pinscher.
- The Labrador Retriever is known for its perpetual happy demeanor. It is also a loyal friend to its master.
- It’s caring and selfless attitudes combined with its brains and brawn make it a prime candidate for the Hufflepuff or Hufflefluff House.
- The Corgi is known as a dog with very high levels of alertness. Yet it combines this with an ability to remain calm and quiet unless it is threatened.
- Corgis care very deeply for their own and will always look out for them. It is a very intelligent dog but it’s calculative demeanor makes it a good fit for the house of Hufflepuff or Hufflefluff.
- The Border Collie is an incredibly intelligent dog. They have a great work ethic and strong determination. They make a perfect fit with Ravenclaw or Ravenpaw.
- Pet Alliance says that the most popular Hogwarts house amongst dogs is the Hufflepuff House.
- This is because most dog breeds demonstrate the characteristics associated with Hufflepuffs – loyalty, hard work, dedication, patience, justice and fair play.
A scientific approach to understanding dogs might give you better insight in knowing how to handle the dogs.
More importantly it helps to know if a particular dog is a right fit for you and vice versa.