If you have the best interest of your dog at heart and you want to ensure their comfort and safety, you’ll need to get them a dog house. A good dog house must be clean, safe, comfortable and cozy.
It should serve as your dog’s personal space. Your dog should be able to personalize that space as its own territory. Essentially, it should be the place your dog feels most comfortable.
As a dog owner, you ought to be accustomed to seeing or knowing about dog houses. They come in various styles, shapes and sizes. Most dog houses are made of wood or plastic. And each material has its pros and cons.
Dog houses could also be designed for indoor or outdoor use. Typically, more active dogs who would rather spend their time outside are more suited for outdoor houses. More reserved and homely dogs can be kept inside the house in their dog houses.
Indoor dog houses are particularly common for smaller dogs. If you consider it safer for your little pups to stay inside the house, consider getting an indoor dog house for them.
While many outdoor dog houses can double as indoor dog houses, largely depending on their size, finding a suitable indoor dog house could be a tall order.
We seek to make it less of a herculean task by discussing some of the best indoor dog houses you can find in the market today.
Best Indoor Dog House You Can Buy
Our Pets Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House — Insulated
This US-made Our Pets dog house is made with durable plastic. It is designed with a double wall around it which is an insulative feature. The house will therefore keep your pup cool in the summer and warm in winter.
For more comfortability, there are adjustable vents on the dog house to aid ventilation within the dog house. It is also fade resistant.
This unit is easy to assemble as it requires no extra tools. The unit is also easy to clean, thanks to a detachable roof that allows you access to the interior of the dog house. By using a damp cloth you can easily wipe off the plastic body of the dog house.
That said, this dog house is designed to hold dogs that can weigh up to 125 pounds. Also, it can be placed on your porch or patio if you have a large dog. For smaller dogs, the dog houses could fit nicely in the interior of your house.
- Made with durable plastic.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to clean
- Fade resistant color
- Adjustable vents
- Double walled design.
Indigo Dog House With Microban From Petmate — Igloo-Shaped
The Indigo dog house is made with heavy duty plastic and is designed to keep your dog warm or cool when necessary. This property is aided thanks to its igloo shaped design.
There are vents at the top of the roof to circulate fresh air resulting in improved air ventilation within the dog house. The raised floor of the dog house, also acts as an insulative feature and protects the floor of the house.
This dog house is designed with Microban Antimicrobial protection. And this prevents the growth of stain and odor carrying bacteria. This, in turn, protects your dog from bacterial infection.
The dog house is designed to accommodate dogs that weigh up to 175 pounds, depending on the selected house size. The house is available in medium, large and extra-large sizes.
One thing though, this house does not come with a door. However, the Petmate Indigo door can be purchased from Petmate to ensure the safety of your dog.
- Made of heavy-duty plastic material
- Insulated dog house
- Raised floor
- Microban Antimicrobial Protection.
Petsfit Indoor Wooden Dog House With Stairs — Storey Style
This Petsfit Wooden dog house is a stylish dog house designed for indoor use. It is designed with an easy climb staircase that leads up to a rooftop where your pooch can relax and chill.
This flat rooftop can also serve as a nice platform to store small items. The house sure looks like a luxury dog house and your dog should be excited with it.
The pet house is made from kiln dried Cedar. The walls of the house are treated with water-based paint. Which makes it a much safer house for your dog.
Thanks to already pre-drilled holes you will find that this house is easy to assemble. For more security, the house is fitted with a latch door.
It is also easy to clean and that is thanks to its removable bottom floor that helps to provide access to the interior walls of the house.
This unit comes in a gray color and is perfect for indoor use but can only be comfortable for small dogs.
- Made from Kiln dried Cedar
- Treated with water-based paint.
- Pre drilled holes for easy assembly
- Designed with a staircase and flat rooftop.
- Removable bottom floor
- Outer dimensions: 28 × 21 × 25 cubic inches.
- Inner dimensions: 18 × 18 × 14 cubic inches.
- Color: grey.
Petmate Barn House 3 — Easy To Assemble
The Petmate Barn house 3 dog house is an ideal indoor dog house, although it also doubles as an outdoor pet house. It has a durable all plastic construction and is, therefore, rot resistant and mold resistant.
It is designed to deliver that long-lasting protection for your dog. And with a near air ventilation system, you can rest assured of the comfort of your pooch even in hot conditions.
Upon purchase, the dog house is easy to assemble, using the quick-snap latches. The unique shape and think plastic walls act as insulative features. This means that your dog will feel cool in hot conditions and warm in colder conditions.
The Barn house is available in three sizes, based on the dog’s weight, from small to large.
- All plastic construction.
- Rear air ventilation system
- Quick snap latches for quick assembly
- Small size: for dogs that weigh 15-25 pounds.
- Medium size: for dogs that weigh between 25-50 pounds.
- Large size: for dogs that weigh between 50-90 pounds.
Merry Pet Wooden Pet House — Lightweight
The Merry Pet Dog House is another Condo-looking lounge for your dog. This house is made from Kiln dried Cedar wood and is treated with natural color stains.
As a classy dog house, it features a bottom floor house, a side staircase and a balcony with intricately designed lattice fencing.
It is quite an exquisite house, but ideal for smaller dogs and for indoor use. It has a lightweight construction which makes it easy to move around and perfect for an indoor pet house.
Thanks to its removable roof and floor panel, the house is quite easy to clean. Assembling the house is also not tedious. By following the instructions and using the hardware properly, the dog house should be set up in about 20 minutes.
- Made from Kiln dried Cedar wood.
- Raised floor
- Designed with an side step and rooftop balcony.
- Removable roof and bottom floor.
Exterior dimensions: 28.5 × 21.8 × 24.5 cubic inches.
Interior dimensions: 17.3 × 17.3 15.4 cubic inches.
Door dimensions: 9.3 × 11.3 square inches.
Petsfit Indoor Wooden Pet Home — Customizable
The Petsfit Indoor Dog house is a simple but nice-looking pet house that will sit nicely in any area of your home.
This Petsfit dog house is made of solid wood and has an excellent finish that allows it to blend into indoor furniture.
Its flat top means the pet house can double as a table. Also, you could store a few household items on this dog house.
The dog house is quite easy to assemble as it comes with already pre-drilled holes. So, with just a screwdriver, you can easily put this unit together in little time.
The Petsfit dog house can be customized to be painted in any color and pattern you desire so it fits nicely into your interior decor.
It is designed to be odorless. Which is an advantage, considering that it is an indoor pet house.
A raised floor also protects the bottom of the dog house and provides some form of insulation, keeping the floor warm.
- Made of solid wood.
- Pre-drilled holes for easy assembly.
- Raised floor
- Inner dimensions: 18.11 × 18.11 × 13.19 cubic inches.
- Door dimensions: 9.44 × 10.86 cubic inches.
Best Pet Supplies Portable Indoor Pet House — Fabric House
This is a portable, cozy and comfortable dog house, with an enclosed design for that added sense of security. It is made either from super smooth coral fleece material or soft denier nylon, depending on the style you pick.
The soft denier nylon material is water repellent. Being a cloth based indoor dog house, the unit is made with polyfoam and polyfill. This provides the much-needed cushion-like comfort for the dog.
For even more comfort, there are cozy pillows placed in the dog house that will be a favorite for pets that like to burrow and snuggle.
An important feature of this cloth based dog house is that it is easy to clean off dirt and stains. Perhaps the best thing is that it is machine washable. Just place the material in the washing machine using a gentle cycle.
This dog house also comes with an anti-skid base to keep the house in place all through. The dog house can quickly be disassembled and assembled for cleaning or traveling purposes.
If you have a little dog that likes to snuggle, this dog house will surely provide him all the comfort, privacy and coziness that it needs. Bear in mind that this dog house is designed for small dogs.
- Made from super smooth coral fleece or soft denier nylon
- Easy to clean
- Anti-skid base
- Available in brown stripes, light brown and silver.
Petsfit Portable Wooden Dog House — Flexible
Here’s another Petsfit dog house on our list. This dog house is nicely made and suited to fit the internal decor of your house. This makes it ideal as an indoor dog house.
One beautiful feature about this dog house is that it comes in one piece. It does not require any assembly. Yes, you heard right!
The dog house is designed to be foldable. So, you can fold it flat when not in use. This also makes it easier to carry around or for traveling purposes.
The rooftop of this dog house can be opened up to gain access to its interior when you clean. The dog house is made with a solid wood frame and can hold dogs as heavy as 30 pounds. It does not have to be painted thanks to its lovely finish.
While indoors, this pet house can also double as part of your house furniture, for instance, as a table. The floor of the dog house is raised up to two inches.
That said, this dog house is also suitable as an outdoor house. As an indoor house, it is best used for smaller dogs.
- Requires no assembly
- Foldable dog house design
- Made from solid wood
- Open-up rooftop
Things To Look Out For
So, you want to get an indoor dog house for your little pooch. There are certain things no need to be on the lookout for to get that perfect, cozy, safe space for your pup to have a swell time.
We’ve helped you identify some of the best indoor dog houses around. Nevertheless, making the right choice is not as easy as just picking what sounds good. You need to know what is good for your dog.
Rather than seeking to get the best indoor dog house, try to get the best indoor house for your dog, specifically.
That means you need to put your dog into consideration as you make the choice. That said, let’s show you those things you should be mindful of.
Size is always a key issue. Don’t forget, it is an indoor house. You want to get a dog house that won’t feel out of place inside your home. At the same time you want to get a dog house that fits your dog. This is the most important thing.
- Consider the size of your dog before you buy the indoor dog house. Some dog houses on our list are specifically made for smaller dogs. Now these descriptions could be vague, as there is no standard size of a “small dog”. So always look out for the dimensions of the dog house and compare with the dimensions of your dog.
- As a rule of thumb, a dog house should be slightly longer than the length of your dog and about 25% higher than its standing height. So, put these into consideration as you shop.
Some dogs might just be too big to house them indoors. Maybe they might get away with being on the patio, however.
- For indoor dog houses, they could be made of plastic, wood or fleece/cloth fabric. Whichever you choose is up to you and your dog.
- For instance, if your dog likes to snuggle or burrow, and it is small enough, Best Pet Supplies Pet House might be a good fit.
- If your dog chews a lot, then you might want to go for wood or plastic. However, ensure that the coatings on such dog houses are nontoxic.
- Considering that the house is indoors, you won’t bother too much about pest infestations. So, wooden houses could be a good option for indoor dog houses.
- On the other hand, plastic dog houses will be lighter and easier to move around. This is desirable for indoor houses, as you might want to change its location from time to time. Whichever option you go for, though, put your dog first.
This is so important. You cannot afford to leave your indoor dog house stinking. It will need to be cleaned as often as possible, especially if the dog house is one of those types that could blend in as furniture.
- One feature that aids cleaning is removable or detachable roofs. If the roof of the dog house can be opened, it allows you access to the interior of the house so that you can clean it properly.
This will save you a lot of the trouble you will have with dog houses that you can only access through the doors.
- In some cases, both the roof and the bottom floor can be removed. It’s strongly suggested that you look out for houses with these features.
- If you want to get one of those cute fabric dog houses, look out for machine washable dog houses. It will save you a whole lot of trouble.
Your dog house needs to be well ventilated. The room where the dog house is placed also needs to be well ventilated.
- If the room is stuffy, you can imagine how uncomfortable the dog house itself could be. So look out for dog houses with vents and openings that allow free air circulation within the dog house to keep your dog feeling fresh and comfortable.
- Doors may not be necessary for indoor houses. So large doorways will help keep the dog house aerated.
Our Top Pick
Now that we’ve shown you some of the things to bear in mind whilst searching for that perfect dog house, we will also tell you what we think is our best indoor dog house.
In making this choice, we’ve been fairer to houses that have been specifically designed as indoor pet houses, as opposed to outdoor dog houses that could serve as indoor houses too.
On that basis, we have selected the Merry Pet Wooden Pet House as our top pick. We love the details put into making this dog house and we believe it will be a beautiful fit for your dog.
However, remember that it is designed for small dogs. Look out for the size of the house before rushing to purchase it!